The town of Aigues-Mortes is surrounded by ramparts, opened up with town gates. In 1268 a tax on merchandise was ordered to finance the building of the rampart wall. At the time of the death of the city founder, King Louis IX or St. Louis, the ramparts were not yet finished. At the beginning of the 14th century, the wall was finished. The rampart wall forms an irregulat quadrilateral of 1638 meters flanked by gates and towers.