The Château de Sedan is a castle situated in Sedan, France, on a headland on the border of Meuse, flanked by the rivers Bièvre and Vra, in the Ardennes département of France. It is a grand fortress of medieval European stock, covering an area of 35,000 square metres in its seven floors.
Around 1424, Eberhard II von der Mark built a manor with two twin towers around a church over a period of six years. When Eberhard died in 1440, his son Jean de la Marck began reinforcing the fortress, but it was Robert II de la Marck, the grandson of Jean, who finished the most important work. In 1530, the fortifications of the manor were modernised by the construction of a circular boulevard and terraces with cannons, thickening the 4.5-metre curtain wall by an additional 26 metres . The bastions were added during the course of the next century, but some of them were eventually dynamited at the end of the 19th century. In 1699, the principality having been absorbed into France in 1642 , and the castle having been transformed into a garrison, Vauban built the door of the Princes that was adapted to the progress of artillery. In 1822, the Church of Saint-Martin was demolished and replaced with a store for cannonballs.
Copyright: CC 3.0