The castle of Meudon, called the royal castle of Meudon, or imperial palace of Meudon, is a castle located in Meudon in the department of Hauts-de-Seine. He was notably the residence of the Duchesse d'Etampes, the Cardinal of Lorraine, Abel Servien, Louvois, and Monseigneur, called the Grand Dauphin, who annexed to him the castle of Chaville. The Château-Neuf, which was burned down in 1795 and in 1871 , was demolished for the most part and was transformed from 1878 into an observatory serving as a receptacle for a telescope Astronomical, before being attached to the Observatory of Paris in 1927. The site of the castle, on the edge of a wooded plateau, offers views of the Seine and Paris, as well as the valley of Chalais. Ideally located between Paris and Versailles, in the heart of an abundant hunting reserve, enjoying an ideal topography for vast gardens, it has been sumptuously arranged by its successive owners, from the Renaissance until the fall Of the Second Empire. The whole of the national domain of Meudon has been classified as historical monuments since 12 April 1972. The Hangar Y in the Chalais-Meudon park has been classified under monuments Historical data since 4 June 2000. It should not be confused with Madame de Pompadour's Château de Bellevue, also situated in Meudon.
"There are few architects, citizens, and enlightened foreigners who have not desired as we did, that the expenses which have been incurred at Versailles would have been made at Meudon as the most beautiful place in the world, Disposition, and situation. " - J. F. Blondel, Course of Architecture ..., 1773, Tome 4, p. 132.
Copyright: CC 3.0