The Château de Vayres is a medieval castle, located on the banks of the Dordogne River, located in the commune of Vayres, in the Gironde Department of France, near the city of Bordeaux. The château de Vayres was rebuilt during the Renaissance, and again in 1700. It is classified as an official historical landmark of France, and the gardens are listed as among the Notable Gardens of France by the Committee of Parks and Gardens of the French Ministry of Culture,
The castle is located on a point dominating the Dordogne River. Excavations found pottery ovens, indicating that the site had a large population in Gallo-Roman times, and that there was a wooden fort on the site, and later a Gallo-Roman oppidum, or fortress.
Copyright: CC 3.0