The Camp de concentration d'Argelès-sur-Mer was a concentration camp established in February 1939 on the territory of the French commune of Argelès-sur-Mer for members of the retirada. The retirada was the retreat of the remains of the Spanish Republican Army (Ejército Popular Republicano) after their defeat in the Spanish Civil War. The commune and the camp were on the Mediterranean coast at the east end of the Pyrenees, 25 km north of Cap de Creus. The camp at Argelès received more than 100,000 Spanish refugees. Many of these refugees were Communists, or had supported the Communist elements in the Spanish Republic.
Copyright: CC 3.0