Foigny Abbey was a Cistercian abbey located in La Bouteille, in a valley in the Thiérache, in the north-eastern region of the Aisne department. It was founded on 11 July 1121 by Bernard of Clairvaux and Barthélemy of Jur, bishop of Laon. The church floor plan are based on those of the church of Clairvaux Abbey; which was confirmed by excavations in 1959.
The abbey prospered and had no less than 100 monks and 200 lay brothers farming 12,000 hectares owned by the abbey, reaching as far as the gates of Laon. The abbey significantly contributed to the economic growth in the Thiérache region. The deforestation carried out together with other abbeys enabled the conversion of forestland to agriculture and the establishment of new settlements around the farms owned by the abbeys. Later, a large number of mills were established thanks to the generous donations from the local nobility and the clergy.
Copyright: CC 3.0