Fort Mahon is a sea fort by the commune of Ambleteuse in the Pas-de-Calais, northern France. The fort was built at the end of the 17th century by the military architect Vauban on the orders of Louis XIV to defend the port in the estuary of the Slack. It was designated a Monument historique in the 1960s.
The original title of the fort or tower is Ambleteuse in all official documents including the Napoleonic cadastre of 1803. However the name Fort Mahon, which is used in English, did not appear until in 1840 and is probably the result of an administrative or transcription error.
Copyright: CC 3.0