The structure links the 12th and 13th arrondissements of Paris by extending the Boulevard de Bercy and the Boulevard Vincent-Auriol. In addition to roadway, the bridge also carries line 6 of the Paris Metro.
The Pont de Bercy was built at the site of another bridge, a suspension bridge opened in 1832 to replace a ferry that had become overcrowded and thus exceeded its tonnage limit. The former bridge had a toll: one sou for pedestrians, 3 sous per two-wheeled cabriolet and 5 sous per car with four wheels attached to two horses. Between 1863 and 1864, it was replaced by a stronger stone structure.
Copyright: CC 3.0