The Canal du Centre, originally known as the Canal du Charollais, is a French canal running from Digoin, where it now joins the Canal latéral à la Loire, to the River Saône in Chalon-sur-Saône. It was opened in 1792 and made it possible for the first time for boat traffic to pass from the north of France to the south. It is 112.1 km long and has 61 locks. Most of its traffic came from the coal mines at Montceau-les-Mines.
Copyright: CC 3.0