Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Chichester, Petworth
Number of texts: 2
Petworth House in Petworth, West Sussex, England, is a late 17th-century mansion, rebuilt in 1688 by Charles Seymour, 6th Duke of Somerset, and altered in the 1870s by Anthony Salvin. The site was previously occupied by a fortified manor house founded by Henry de Percy, the 13th-century chapel and undercroft of which still survive.
Petworth House is rebuilt in 1688. It houses the finest collection of paintings and sculptures of the National Trust. Petworth House was residence of the Dukes of Northumberland, the Dukes of Somerset and the Earls of Egremont. The huge park was created by ‘Capability’ Brown. The house is open from March 27 to October 31. Recommended is also a walk through the town of Petworth.