Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Wychavon, Broadway
Number of texts: 5
Over the years, the Broadway Tower was home to the printing press of Sir Thomas Phillipps, an English antiquary and book collector who amassed the largest collection of manuscript material in the 19th century. It also served as a country retreat for artists including William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones who rented it together in the 1880s. William Morris was so inspired by Broadway Tower and other ancient buildings that he founded the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings in 1877. Today, the tower is a tourist attraction and the centre of a country park with various exhibitions open to the public at a fee, as well as a gift shop and restaurant. The place is on the Cotswold Way and can be reached by following the Cotswold Way from the A44 road at Fish Hill, or by a steep climb out of Broadway village.
In the late 1950s, Broadway Tower monitored nuclear fallout in England; an underground ROC Corps bunker was built 50 yards from the Tower. Manned continuously from 1961 and designated as a master post, the bunker was one of the last such Cold War bunkers constructed and, although officially stood down in 1991, the bunker is now one of the few remaining fully equipped facilities in England.
Broadway Tower is a folly located on Broadway Hill, near the village of Broadway, in the English county of Worcestershire, at the second highest point of the Cotswolds after Cleeve Hill. Broadway Tower’s base is 1,024 feet (312 metres) above sea level. The tower itself stands 65 feet (20 metres) high.
Broadway Tower is a folly located on Broadway Hill, the second highest point of the Cotswolds after Cleeve Hill. On a clear day, thirteen counties of England can be seen from the top of the tower, including across the Severn Valley to the Welsh mountains. Over the years, the tower was home to the printing press of Sir Thomas Phillipps, and served as a country retreat for artists including William Morris.
Near the Broadway Tower is a memorial to the crew of an A.W.38 Whitley bomber that crashed there during a training mission in June 1943.
Linked themes: War