The Kelham Island Museum is an industrial museum on Alma Street, alongside the River Don. It was opened in 1982.
The museum houses exhibitions on science and Sheffield industry, including examples of reconstructed little mesters'' workshops and England''s largest surviving Bessemer converter.
The island on which it is located is man-made, resulting from the construction of a mill race, in the 12th. century, which diverted water from the River Don to power a corn mill belonging to the Lord of the Manor.
This building was replaced by a power station, in 1899, to provide electricity for the new fleet of trams in the city. These are the premises now occupied by the museum.