Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Byker
Number of texts: 3
The Tyne Bridge is a through arch bridge over the River Tyne in North East England, linking Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead. It was designed by the engineering firm Mott, Hay and Anderson, who later designed the Forth Road Bridge, and was built by Dorman Long and Co. of Middlesbrough. The bridge was officially opened on 10 October 1928 by King George V and has since become a defining symbol of Tyneside. It is ranked as the tenth tallest structure in the city.
The Tyne Bridge Tower was a tower block that resided at the foot of the Tyne Bridge on the Gateshead side of the River Tyne, near the medieval St Mary’s Church and The Sage. The 13 floor building was used by the Inland Revenue until June 2005, after which it stood empty until its demolition in March 2011.
Tyne Bridge was a parliamentary constituency in the north east of England, represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, from 1983 until 2010. It elected one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election.