Sir Edward Bayntun (1593 - 1657) built Spye Park House after the destruction of Bromham House in 1645 during the civil war. He was married to Stuarta, the daughter of Sir Thomas Thynne, whose brother resided at Longleat.
In 1855, the house was bought by Major J.W.G. Spicer, and owned by four more generations. The 17th century house was demolished by Spicer, and rebuilt 1864-1868 in red brick. This house, considered an eyesore by Spicer's neighbours, was destroyed by fire in 1868. The house was rebuilt from 1868 to 1871, this time in the Tudor style.
The second house built by Major Spicer, the first of five generations of Spicers, was destroyed by fire in 1974. Today, no trace of the great Spye Park mansion exists. Even the foundations have been covered over with grass.