Balcarres House is just north of the village of Colinsburgh, in the East Neuk of Fife, eastern Scotland. It is based on a mansion built in 1595 by John Lindsay (1552–1598), second son of the ninth Earl of Crawford. The house became the family seat of the Earl of Crawford. The present house is the result of substantial extensions in the early nineteenth century, using part of a fortune made in India, but preserves much of the original mansion.
Copyright: CC 3.0