St. Thomas' Church is at the top of a lane overlooking the village of Mellor, Greater Manchester, England with views over Manchester, Cheshire and beyond. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building. The church contains the oldest wooden pulpit in England and a late 12th-century Norman font. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Chadkirk, the archdeaconry of Macclesfield, and the diocese of Chester.
The first stone building was probably erected in the early 14th century. In 1783 the walls were partly rebuilt and galleries were constructed on the south and east walls. At this time the church could seat 700 people. In 1815 a new entrance and porch were built and the south wall was repaired. In 1827-29 the chancel and the north wall were reconstructed to designs by the antiquarian Thomas Rickman. In 1885 the east gallery was removed. In the first decade of the 20th century the south and west galleries were demolished. In 1960, a death watch beetle was found in the roof and the roof was replaced. The screen was moved from the front of the nave to its present position at the rear creating a new chapel at the west end. A new Mander organ was installed in 1977.
Copyright: CC 3.0