London Luton Airport , previously called Luton International Airport, is an international airport located 1.5 miles east of Luton town centre in the county of Bedfordshire, England, and is 28 miles north of Central London. The airport is owned by London Luton Airport Ltd , a company wholly owned by Luton Borough Council, and operated by London Luton Airport Operations Ltd .
An airport was opened on the site on 16 July 1938. During the Second World War, the airport was used by fighters of the Royal Air Force. Commercial activity and general aviation flight training at Luton resumed during 1952. By the 1960s, Luton Airport was playing a key role in the development of the package holiday business; by 1969, a fifth of all holiday flights from the UK departed from Luton Airport. From the mid-1960s, executive aircraft have been based at the airport. During the late 1970s, an expansion plan was initiated at Luton to accommodate as many as 5 million passengers per year, although the airport experienced a reduction in passenger numbers in the 1980s. In 1990, the airport was renamed London Luton Airport to re-emphasise the airport's proximity to the capital.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
Luton, United Kingdom
© 2006-2020 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com