Caversham Lock is a lock and main weir on the River Thames in England at Reading, Berkshire. Both structures connect to De Bohun Island , a long island. The original lock was built by the Thames Navigation Commissioners in 1778. Additional sluices north of verdant View Island and multiple home Heron Island form the whole weir complex. A footbridge passes over all three islands to connect Lower Caversham to Reading via an alternative route than George Street and Reading Bridge.
The weir is upstream of the lock and in the mid-channel. Kings Meadow, Reading and buildings comprising homes and office blocks adjoin to the south of the lock itself. The island contains a typical lock-keeper's house, a crane depot, small boat yard and large boathouse owned by the Environment Agency for occasional use by that authority and police in river patrol and maintenance of boats.
Copyright: CC 3.0