Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Saint Helier
Number of texts: 1
The meadow area on which the showground was laid out gained the name of Springfield from the vernacular hydronymy. The land borders Le Grand Douet and Rouge Bouillon (modern Jèrriais spelling: Rouoge Bouoillon: red spring), and floods regularly. Significant flooding was recorded in 1881, 1977 and 1980. The Royal Jersey Agricultural and Horticultural Society was founded in 1833 and had held its Jersey cattle shows at various venues until its jubilee in 1883, when it was decided to acquire a ground of its own for the holding of exhibitions and the examination of cattle for registration. Seven sites in Saint Helier were considered and out of these Springfield was chosen on 10 September 1884. The site at that time covered five vergées and comprised gardens and two cottages. The RJA&HS purchased the property from Tom Charles Le Gros on 6 December 1884 for the sum of £1,384 11s 10d. Between the initial purchase and 1939 the RJA&HS acquired adjacent properties to expand the site. In 1904, adjacent land used by the Caesarean Archery, Croquet and Lawn Tennis Club since the 1860s was acquired from the Rector of Saint Helier - evidence of early use of the site for sporting activities.