The Maynard School is an independent and selective day school for girls aged 4-18 in the city of Exeter in Devon. It is one of the leading girls day schools in the UK, with an excellent academic reputation in both public exams and university entrance. Founded in 1658, the school is the third oldest girls' school in the country. Its mission statement is 'Imagine, Aspire, Achieve'.
It was founded by Sir John Maynard, a trustee of Elize Hele's charity, in 1658. Initially named the Blue maid's Hospital, the school received extensive funding under the express condition that it be spent for "some godly purposes and charitable uses". Robert Vilvayne, a local landowner, further endowed the school by donating premises on Exe Island, while further significant donations were given to the school by Edmund Prideaux and Gilbert Keate. In the 1870s, on the basis of a recommendation from the Endowed Schools Commission, the school split in two. One became the Bishop Blackall Girls' Grammar School , while the second became Exeter High School for Girls. New premises were built in the suburb of St Leonards, and the school recommenced teaching in 1882. In 1912, shortly after its 250th anniversary, the school was renamed by headmistress E L Trenerry as The Maynard School for Girls.
Copyright: CC 3.0