Richmond Palace was a royal residence on the right (south, or Surrey) bank of the River Thames, upstream of the Palace of Westminster, to which it lay 9 miles (14 km) south-west. It was erected c. 1501 within the royal manor of Sheen, by Henry VII of England, formerly known by his title Earl of Richmond, after which it was named. It was occupied by royalty until 1649. It replaced a former palace, itself built on the site of a manor house that had been appropriated by the Crown some two centuries beforehand, which had been in royal possession for most of that time.
Copyright: CC 3.0