Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Winchester
Number of texts: 1
The barracks, which were originally known as the Upper Barracks, Winchester, were built in the early 20th Century on the site of King’s House, an unfinished palace designed by Sir Christopher Wren for Charles II which was subsequently destroyed by fire. Some parts of the barracks remain Grade II listed buildings in their own right including the Green Jackets Headquarters and Museum, the Gymnasium, the Main Entrance Gate Piers, the Gates and Flanking Railings and Piers, the Royal Hussars Museum (former Militia Stores), the East Block, the Guardroom, the Chapel and Schoolroom, the Mons Block, the North Block, the Weapons Training Shed and the West Block. The barracks became the depot of the King’s Royal Rifle Corps and the Rifle Brigade in 1858.