Cathedral Church of St Michael and St George serves as the Roman Catholic cathedral for the Bishopric of the Forces. It is located in Aldershot, England. The church was designed in 1892 by two military engineers and, because the building was originally intended as the principal church for the Anglican chaplaincies of the British Army, the foundation stone was laid by Queen Victoria. The trowel she used in the ceremony is exhibited in the cathedral’s west porch. However, the church was subsequently not required for this purpose and it eventually became the seat of the Roman Catholic Bishop of the Forces instead.
Copyright: CC 3.0