Hurst Point Lighthouse is located at Hurst Point in the English county of Hampshire, and guides vessels through the western approaches to the Solent.
The original lighthouse was the Hurst Tower, sited to the south west of the old Hurst Castle and lit for the first time on 29 September 1786. Joseph Huddart supervised and directed its construction. However, this light was found to be obscured from certain directions; consequently, in 1812, this tower was supplemented by the High Lighthouse, a new tower at a higher level.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2020 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com