St James' Church in Handsworth, Birmingham, England was erected as an Anglican church in 1838–1840 (Handsworth was at that time in the county of Staffordshire) on land given by John Crockett of the nearby New Inns Hotel. The architect was Robert Ebbles of Wolverhampton, who specialised in Gothic Revival churches. A new chancel was added in 1878 and the building was rebuilt in 1895, to designs by J. A. Chatwin. The original chancel thus became the north chapel, the original nave became the north aisle, and the original western tower was redesignated as the north-west tower. The additions were a new chancel, a nave, and a south aisle. Chatwin's Decorated style, red-brick features contrasted with the Early English style stonework of the original building.
Copyright: CC 3.0