Gosford Forest Park is located outside the Co. Armagh village of Markethill. Gosford Forest Park, previously Gosford Demesne, was acquired by the Department of Agriculture in 1958 and comprises some 240 hectares of diverse woodland and open parkland. Gosford Forest Park is also home to Gosford Castle.It was designated the first conservation forest in Northern Ireland in 1986.
In the early 17th century the Acheson family came to the Markethill area, and built a very substantial farmhouse near the present town of Markethill. The family came from Monmouthshire and, in fact, the present Earl of Weymes is related to the Achesons who later became the Earls of Gosford. When they came here first they brought with them 13 families, and some of the family names still survive in the area, notably Galbraith, Greer, etc. One of the two forts in Gosford Forest was named after the Greer family who farmed the land in that area.
Copyright: CC 3.0