Sunbury Lock Ait is the ait in the River Thames in England adjacent to Sunbury Lock between Walton-on-Thames, and Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey. It is unpopulated, but accessible by a footbridge over the lock cut from a wide section of the Thames Path towpath on the southern bank as well as walkways on the lock gates. Thirdly, a walkway links to Wheatley's Ait upstream, across the weir, but this is closed to the public. The quite long, thin island is inaccessible from Sunbury-on-Thames where it faces a long section of public riverbank, a few private conservation area Victorian terraces with moorings and two pubs also with moorings.
The lock island existed before the widening and deepening of the lock cut . It was for centuries known as "Sunbury Church Ait" until the City of London Corporation purchased it from about six proprietors to build the lock, which was completed in 1815, although a flash weir had been in existence since at least the 18th century. The footbridge and old lock house are where the lock originally sat, upstream of the present locks.
Copyright: CC 3.0