Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Fermanagh
Number of texts: 1
Castle Balfour is a castle situated just off the Main Street of Lisnaskea, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. It is situated in the townland of Castle Balfour Demesne. It was built in 1618 by the Balfours when Sir Michael Balfour took control of the town in the Plantation of Ulster. The last person to possess and inhabit the Castle was James Haire (1737-1833) who leased the castle from the Earl of Erne. James Haire and his family ceased to occupy the castle after it was destroyed by an arson-based fire in 1803. His mother, Mrs. Phoebe Haire, was killed by the fire. It is believed that the perpetrator of the fire was a member of the Maguire clan.