Wharram Percy is England's most famous deserted medieval village. It is one of about 3,000 deserted medieval villages in England. Its ruined stone church is the only medieval building still standing today. The church, dedicated to Saint Martin, was rebuilt in stone in the mid-11th century, probably just before the 1066 Norman conquest of England.. The village was founded in the 9th or 10th century, lived its heydays between the 12th and 14th centuries, and then went into decline, being abandoned in the early 16th century.