Ballymagorry or Ballymagory ) is a small village and townland in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. It is west of Artigarvan and 5 kilometres north of Strabane. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 565. It lies within the Strabane District Council area and lies on the River Glenmornan.
It has been a settlement since Plantation times, being founded in the early 17th century by Scotsman Sir George Hamilton of Greenlaw who died around 1654, and whose brother was James Hamilton, 1st Earl of Abercorn. Within two generations his lands had been consolidated into the Manor of Cloghogall within the extensive Abercorn estate. The village is known as Bellymagarry in Ulster-Scots.
Copyright: CC 3.0
Strabane, United Kingdom