Irvinestown is a town in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. In 2008 it had an estimated population of 2,081 people. The most notable building is the ruined 18th-century church. It is situated within Fermanagh and Omagh district.
Before the Plantation of Ulster, the area was known as Necarne or Nakerny; in Irish na Caorthann . The village was founded during the Plantation in 1618 by Sir Gerald Lowther and named Lowtherstown. Ownership later passed to the Irvines of Dumfries and the name changed accordingly.
Copyright: CC 3.0
Fermanagh, United Kingdom