Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 1
German Kaiser Wilhelm II was fond of taking holidays in Corfu. Having purchased the nearby Achilleion in 1907 after Sissi’s death, he built a bridge to be named by the locals after him: “Kaiser’s bridge”, to access the beach without traversing the road forming the island’s main artery to the south. The bridge, arching over the road, spanned the distance between the lower gardens of Achilleion and the nearby beach; its remains, a monument to imperial vanity as well as impracticality, are an important landmark on the highway. The bridge’s central section was, ironically, demolished by the Wehrmacht during the German occupation of World War II to allow for the free movement of its vehicles.