Copyright: Creative Commons 4.0
Crossmolina or Crosmolina is a town in the Barony of Tyrawley in County Mayo, Ireland, as well as the name of the parish in which Crossmolina is situated. The town sits on the River Deel near the northern shore of Lough Conn. Crossmolina is about 9 km west of Ballina, on the N59 Road as it travels west through Erris to Bellacorick and Bangor Erris Glencastle, Belmullet and the Mullet peninsula.
The origins of present-day Crossmolina are tied to the founding of a religious settlement in the area: Errew Abbey was founded by St. Tiernan in the 6th century. In the 12th Century this Abbey came into possession of the invading Hiberno-Norman de Barry family. During the 15th century, Crossmolina passed into the hands of the Bourke Family. In 1526 O'Donnell of Tir Conaill invaded Tirawley and destroyed Crossmolina Castle. In response, the Bourkes would construct a replacement in Deel Castle. Their possession of his new fortress did not last however as during the Williamite War in Ireland of the 1690s Thomas Burke fought for the defeated Catholic Jacobites. Subsequently, Deel Castle was granted by the English crown to the Anglo-Irish Protestant Gore family, ushering in the era of Protestant Ascendancy into the area. In 1789 Crossmolina would have been swept up with the events of the United Irishmen Rebellion when French Forces under General Humbert coming from Ballina would have passed by Crossmolina, towards Lahardane and on towards Castlebar as they went west of Lough Conn to fight the Battle of Castlebar.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com