Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Italia, Venezia, Venezia
Number of texts: 3
Originally dedicated to grazing and agriculture, in 1493 it was entirely paved, a well (one of the few fountains to be found in Venice) being placed in the middle. It was subsequently used as the scene of many a bullfight, mass sermons and masked balls. After the 17th century the poor’s market was moved here from Piazza San Marco. (Source: Wikipedia)
The Chiesa di San Polo is a Catholic church in Venice, dedicated to the Apostle Paul. It gives its name to the San Polo sestiere of the city. The current Gothic church dates from the 15th century, but a church has stood on the site since the 9th century and the south doorway, possibly by Bartolomeo Bon, survives from this church. The campanile, standing detached from the church, was built in 1362.
The Campo San Polo is the largest campo in Venice, Italy, the second largest Venetian public square after the Piazza San Marco.