Piazza Plebiscito is the largest square in Naples. It is named for the plebiscite taken in 1860 that brought Naples into the unified Kingdom of Italy under the House of Savoy. It is bounded on the east by the Royal Palace and on the west by the church of San Francesco di Paola with the colonnades extending to both sides.
In the first years of the 19th century, the King of Naples was Murat (Napoleon's brother-in-law). He planned the square and building as a tribute to the emperor.
The church is reminiscent of the Pantheon in Rome.