Santa Corona is a Gothic-style, Roman Catholic church located in Vicenza, region of Veneto, Italy. The church contains the Valmarana chapel , whose design is attributed to the Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio. Palladio himself is buried in this church.
Construction on the church was begun in 1261 by the Blessed Bishop Bartolomeo di Breganze to house a thorn from the supposed relic of the crown of thorns forced on Jesus during his passion. The thorn had been given to this bishop as a gift from Louis IX of France. The church belonged to the Dominican order until suppression during the Napoleonic era.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
Contrà Santa Corona 19, 36100 Vicenza, Vicenza, Italy
© 2006-2020 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com