Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Italia, Roma, Roma
Number of texts: 3
Piazza della Minerva is a square in Rome near the Pantheon. Its name derives from the existence of a temple built on the site by Pompey dedicated to Minerva Calcidica, whose statue is now in the Vatican Museums.
At the centre of the piazza, backing onto the Inquisition convent, is the 1667 elephant by Bernini and the small obelisk atop it. This obelisk was excavated in the cloister and came from the Iseum. The elephant was known as “il pulcin della Minerva”, or “porcino”, from the Roman people’s story that - uninspired by elephants - Bernini in fact sculpted a pig.
Elephant and Obelisk is a sculpture designed by the Italian artist Gian Lorenzo Bernini. The elephant was probably executed by his assistant Ercole Ferrata; the Egyptian obelisk was uncovered during nearby excavations. It was unveiled in February 1667 in the Piazza della Minerva in Rome, Italy, just outside the church of Santa Maria sopra Minerva, where it still stands today.
Piazza della Minerva is a piazza in Rome, Italy, near the Pantheon. Its name derives from the existence of a temple built on the site by Pompey dedicated to Minerva Calcidica, whose statue is now in the Vatican Museums.