The Basilica della Santissima Trinità di Saccargia is a church in the comune of Codrongianos, northern Sardinia, Italy. It is the most important Romanesque site in the island. The construction is entirely in local stone , with a typical appearance of Tuscan Romanesque style.
The church was finished in 1116 over the ruins of a pre-existing monastery, and consecrated on October 5 of the same year. Its construction was ordered by the giudice of Torres. It was entrusted to Camaldolese monks who here founded an abbey. It was later enlarged in Pisane style, including the addition of the tall bell tower. The portico on the façade is also probably a late addition, and is attributed to workers from Lucca.
Copyright: CC 3.0