Stadio Olimpico del Ghiaccio (English: Olympic Ice Stadium) was built between 1952 to 1954, primarily as an open air Figure skating arena in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, to hold between seven to eight thousand spectators, with the possibility of making temporary arrangements to accommodate twelve to fifteen thousand for the period of the Olympics. The Venue was inaugurated on 26 October 1955. During the 1956 Winter Olympics, the arena held the opening and closing ceremonies, the figure skating events and select ice hockey games. Sometime after 1981, a roof was added to the structure.
Copyright: CC 3.0