Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Italia, Viterbo
Number of texts: 1
Palazzo dei Papi is a palace in Viterbo, northern Latium, Italy. It is one of the most important monuments in the city, situated alongside the Duomo di Viterbo. The Papal Curia was removed to Viterbo in 1257 by Alexander IV, due to the hostility of the Roman commune and constant urban violence: the former bishop’s palace of Viterbo was enlarged to provide the Popes with an adequate residence. The construction, commissioned by the Capitano del popolo (“People’s Captain”) Raniero Gatti, provided a great audience hall communicating with a loggia raised on a barrel vault above the city street, was completed probably around 1266.