The church now stands near the Arsenale, and is officiated by a military chaplain. Initially founded in the 10th century, from 1546 to 1610 it was rebuilt based on a plan by Jacopo Sansovino. The facade (1897) was designed by Federico Berchet and Domenico Rupolo. The vault is frescoed with Saint Martin in Glory by Jacopo Guarana, with the quadratura painted by Domenico Bruni. The walls portray saints and evangelists by Matteo Zais. The mausoleum (1633) to Doge Francesco Erizzo was completed by Matteo Carneri. A chapel has a fresco cycle of the Glory of the Eucharist flanked by Sacrifice of Isaac and of Mechizedek on the walls by Fabio Canal. The 15th-century altar by Tullio Lombardo was brought here from the church of Santo Sepolcro. The sacristy is frescoed with a Last supper and Resurrection by Girolamo da Santacroce. The sacristy ceiling is frescoed by Antonio Zanchi and Domenico Bruni.
Copyright: CC 3.0