San Nicolò dei Mendicoli ("Saint Nicholas of the Beggars") is a church in the sestiere or neighborhood of Dorsoduro in Venice. The islet where the original church was located previously housed poor fishermen, hence the addition of mendicoli ("beggars") to the name of San Nicolò. From then on, the inhabitants were called Nicolotti. The present structure dates from about the 12th century, with frequent reconstructions. The present clock tower was added in 1764 to replace an older one.
Copyright: CC 3.0