The church of Our Lady of the Snows is located near Jungmann Square in Prague, Czech Republic. This church has one of the highest vaults in Prague ). It was supposed to be the second biggest church in Prague , but it was not completed. The current form consists only of the presbytery of the church.
The church along with a monastery of the Carmelite order was founded in 1347 on the occasion of the coronation of Charles IV and his wife Blanche of Valois. The Carmelites were a mendicant order since 1245, which meant that they were not allowed to own any land. They therefore had no sources for building the church. Charles IV donated them a large plot, which they could partly rent, and the wood which had been used to build his coronation hall. This, along with contributions from the citizens of Prague, was enough to construct the currently visible part of the building. The construction of the church was delayed because of the problems with funds.
Copyright: CC 3.0