Saint Spyridon Church in Trieste is a Serbian Orthodox church in Italy. History of the Orthodox community in Trieste begins in 1751 when Empress Maria Theresa allow free practice of religion for Orthodox Christians what prompted immigration of Serbian traders from Herceg Novi, Trebinje and Sarajevo to Trieste. In 1781 Orthodox community split into two groups. The first was Greek community and second, from which will develop today's Serbian parish, was community which embraced Orthodox South Slavic nations. Since 1994 till the administrative changes within the dioceses of Serbian Orthodox Church, parish in Trieste was under the jurisdiction of Metropolitanate of Zagreb and Ljubljana. Today it is under the jurisdiction of Diocese of Central Europe.
Copyright: CC 3.0