The presence of Franciscan friars in Lucca was already attested in 1228, and the new religious order had just assumed a prominent role in city life. The church, built out of gravel, has an aisle-less with a trussed roof. It was completed in the early 15th century with the inclusion of three aspidal chapels. The façade, which has two arches either side of the doorway, adopted a coat of white limestone, which remained incomplete, and was completed only in the 20th century. The care taken with the interior design, is in parallel with the construction of the complex, which took from the 14th century to the 17th century. After reacquisition by the state in the 19th century, part of the collection of paintings were moved to the museum in Lucca.
Copyright: CC 3.0