The Castello della Magione is a medieval castle in Poggibonsi . It is an example of a medieval "Mansio" that belonged to the Knights Templar. The castle includes the ancient church and the “spedale” for the pilgrims in transit to Rome on the Via Francigena. The complex is near the ancient crossing of the Via Francigena over the Staggia River, near the Bonizio bridge, now destroyed.
The castle dates from the 11th century. On 5 September 1140, it was donated by Gottifredo di Arnolfo and Arnolfino di Cristofano, heirs of the founders, to the Monks of the Saint Michael Abbey in Poggio Marturi. The monks entrusted it to the Knights of the Temple, becoming one of the numerous "Mansiones" or "Domus Templi" on the Via Francigena.
Copyright: CC 3.0