The construction of the church and its associated convent began in 1258 and lasted for more than fifty years. Other renovations and reconstructions were carried out in the following centuries. The church had a major fire in 1747. A few years after this fire, the interior was redesigned by Luigi Vanvitelli, and he maintained the large altars in polychrome marble from the 16th and 17th centuries. The stucco statues in the nave and in the transept date from the Vanvitelli renovation. The portico was constructed in the early 19th century by Agostino Fantastici. The church is home to a large number of artworks, including:
The church was adjacent to the Collegio Tolomei, Siena with neoclassical portico by Agostino Fantastici.
Copyright: CC 3.0