La Trinità della Cava , commonly known as Badia di Cava, is a Benedictine territorial abbey located near Cava de' Tirreni, in the province of Salerno, southern Italy. It stands in a gorge of the Finestre Hills.
It was founded in 1011 by Alferius of Pappacarbona, a noble of Salerno who became a Cluniac monk and had lived as a hermit in the vicinity since 1011. Pope Urban II endowed this monastery with many privileges, making it immediately subject to the Holy See, with jurisdiction over the surrounding territory.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2019 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com