Amelia Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Amelia in the province of Terni, Umbria, Italy. It was formerly the seat of the Bishop of Amelia, in existence from not later than the 5th century, but since 1983 has been a co-cathedral in the Diocese of Terni-Narni-Amelia.
Amelia Cathedral, dedicated to Saint Firmina, was built originally in 872. That building was destroyed by the troops of Emperor Frederick II in the 13th century, and was rebuilt in Gothic style. That building too was destroyed, by a fire in 1629, and was reconstructed in Baroque form. The present façade of pink cotto was completed only in the 19th century, after a destructive earthquake in 1822.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com