De Zwaluw is a smock mill in Burdaard, Friesland, Netherlands which is working commercially. The mill is listed as a Rijksmonument, number 15585.
The first mill on this site was a smock mill called De Windlust which was built for Douwe Dirks Drukker of Burum in 1841. This was a corn mill which stood 20 metres west of the present mill. Drukker sold the mill on 25 April 1851 to Klaas Freerks Steenhuizen for ƒ6,000. De Windlust was burnt down on 15 September 1874. De Zwaluw was built as a corn and pearl barley mill to replace it. The millwright was G R van Wieren of Smitshuis. De Zwaluw was built for Klaas Steenhuizen. Between 1875 and 1878, the base of a paltrok mill was placed alongside De Zwaluw and driven by the mill. Steenhuizen had four sons, two of which worked the mill. Paulus worked in the pearl barley mill and Jan worked the sawmill. De Zwaluw was built with Patent sails, one of the first mills in the north of the Netherlands so equipped.
Copyright: CC 3.0